Home Register Manuals 164 Forum Interactive Library
Login

Steering Rack Mounting Bushings

For the technical things.

Steering Rack Mounting Bushings

Postby KY2006 » Tue May 06, 2014 6:19 am

Hi,

My 164QV24 failed the annual inspection test because of steering rack bushings turning bad after 5 years. Here is a picture that I found from another Alfa Forum about the bushings.

http://www.alfabb.com/bb/forums/164-168 ... post463940

Fortunately, I found the parts in Taiwan. However, coming to think of it, my steering rack was last overhauled exactly five years ago, the mounting bushings were replaced at the same time - but that time round, I used the pentagon shape bushing for both sides, as the round one was not available. Seems like the pentagon one fitted on round metal failed first. The heat shield (in black) also broke at the screwing point.

The parts are not expensive, but this is not a simple operation - one has to lower the frame and take the steering rack out to refit the bushings. If there are some more permanent bushings this would save cost in the long run - the pentagon bushings are still readily available, I heard - the round ones are nowhere to be found. I was just plain lucky to have found one in Taiwan. There does not seem to have a part number for the round one on the parts CD or ePer.

My mechanic advises that since I would be lowering the engine frame, it is perhaps time to carry out other hard-to-do maintenance like replacing the timing belt, altering the RHD piping of the clutch master cylinder to LHD, etc.....
KY2006

Re: Steering Rack Mounting Bushings

Postby 164 TD » Wed May 07, 2014 6:05 am

Hi Marcus,

I parted out many 164's but I 've never seen any of those bushings fail. Is the rubber detoriated, cracked or gome "gummi" by a hydraulic leak? For bussoengines the upper part of the rack is pretty accessible from the top when you remove the inletplenum and you enlarge the upper enginemount.(by enlarging it you move the top of the engine forward thus gaining more space)
TD en Q4 owner

164 TD
Q4 owner

Re: Steering Rack Mounting Bushings

Postby KY2006 » Wed May 07, 2014 2:47 pm

Well, anything made of rubber will deteriorate with time, and degenerate due to heat and possibly oil. Imagine the weight of the engine as well as other physical forces caused by the car movements and braking. Even engine mounts fail periodically. 5 years ago, my steering rack was leaking badly, UK EB Spares had a new rack costing GBP900 (VAT and shipment extra) so I decided to have the original dismounted and sent to the U.S. for rebuild. The mounting bushings were replaced at the same time. Five years have passed and the rack starts to leak again, but the mounting bushings are all worn out (the round shape bushing is almost gone, but the pentagon one is not in good shape either. Maybe steering racks and mounting bushings last longer elsewhere - Alfa is notorious in terms of turning circles, and tight parking space in Hong Kong means steering racks wear out faster so are the bushings due to too much turning movements, and constant heat from the engine during slow moving traffic, not to mention unfriendly summers.

It would be quite a challenge to replace the steering rack bushings from the top.
KY2006

Return to Technical